Thursday, June 9, 2011

Prompt #3: Teaching Digital Natives

I have an advantage compared to other educators trying to teach students of the Millennial Generation because I am a product of this generation. I was born in 1990, therefore have been familiar with technology all my life and hence understand its importance. I also understand that technology is advancing everyday, and soon I will have to struggle to not become tethered to out-dated information. For example, before I discovered the existence of search engines, like Google, I would simply plug in keywords followed by a "dot com" and hope it existed (i.e. www.sharks.com). Yet, when I observe my younger sister, who was born in 1998, she is able to utilize the Internet with more gusto and simplicity than what I could do at her age, and we are only eight years apart! The main point is I realize the information I am learning in college will not represent an "instructions manual" but rather a guideline for future lessons. Technology is here to stay and I must do my part as an educator to utilize it in the classroom and to continually update my lessons in conjuncture to popular technology of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment