Saturday, June 11, 2011

Promt #5: ISTE Standards

There are five different standards set forth by the ISTE that concern technology and teaching. They are as followed;
Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Technology must always be integrated with education. As an educator I will always make a strong commitment to;
  1. Promote a student's creativity
    • No two students are exactly alike. Technology is a great way to show one's creativity. Also, just like there are multiple ways to solve a math problem, there are multiple ways to demonstrate creativity via technology. If a student says they are very creative with PowerPoint, they should be allowed to make a presentation with PowerPoint. As long as they are not making a change that veers away from the main point of a lesson, creativity should be encouraged.
  2. Utilize a strong use for technology
    • Mathematicians no longer rely on an abacus to solve equations because they are outdated. In the same logic, I realize that in order to teach to "digital natives", I must use technology in the classroom. Of course, offline activities have there merits. Nothing will ever beat personal interaction or live skits. Yet, at the same time society is evolving into a widely digital world, hence those lessons must be taught to students. Incorporating programs like Prezi and Blogger better prepares students to use these devices in their professional world. Over time even these programs will become out-dated, but at least those students would have been taught by a version 2.0 curriculum as opposed to a version 1.0 lesson plan.
  3. Be a leader
    • I realize being a teacher is not a nine to five type of job. Being a teacher means thoroughly understanding the information one is teaching. If when teaching a lesson that incorporates Prezi, I as the teacher must be capable of answering almost any question about Prezi so I can help my students understand. Being a teacher means being available for students and parents through different networks (i.e. in person, email, Facebook, Blogger, etc.). Being a teacher means always having innovating lessons. Being a teacher means putting passion into one's lessons. Being a teacher means doing the best job one can to prepare students to respond to the world outside the classroom, hence utilizing technology in the classroom.
  4. Promote responsibility and ethics
    • When dealing with a myriad amount of technology, a 21st century teacher must emphasize to their students the importance of being safe and smart online. We live in a world where anyone's information is theoretically easy to gain. Once online, information is present forever. There is no such thing as "personal property" for programs like Facebook and Myspace. Therefore, I as a teacher will monitor and discipline respectively since it is such a serious matter. Also, as a teacher I will emphasize the severity of plagiarism. Information is easy to gain, but should never be stolen.
  5. Never stop learning
    • To be a good teacher one must always stay one step ahead of the curve. Technology changes everyday, therefore lesson plans should also always change, year after year. As an educator I will actively be looking for the best methods of teaching. I will attend the myriad of conventions that happen every year for teachers, even if it is as simple as logging onto "Second Life" and attending a meeting there. A good teacher should always look for advancing their lessons so as to stay current and fresh, hence providing the students with the best education of the day (i.e. using technology). However, at the same time, no student can learn from a lesson that has no backbone, no foundational substance. Will I as an educator be open to change as educational technology changes, yes. Yet, will I follow every technological method, no. A teacher must not be a sheep following every new idea, but instead evaluate which ones will fit their styles the best, and more importantly which ones will suit their students best. As an educator I will have a style, one open for change as technology improves, but a strong style none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment